This Blog is for all of you, who enjoy Rock and Metal music like I do (especially the more melodic side with all its subgenres). Check it out for the latest CD-Reviews, Live-Reports, Interviews and much more if you are interested in Melodic Rock/Metal!
It's all about having fun here, so please feel free to comment and share my stuff. Thank you!

Thursday, May 15, 2014

R&M4U-Classics: Kane Roberts - "Saints and Sinners" (1991)

Hey folks,

with this post I'd like to introduce you to a new series of posts, called "Rock & Metal 4 You - Classics". I think the name says it all: with this series I'll discuss some records, that have stood the test of time to me and which affected my life in many different ways. 
I always wanted to give this blog a more personal note and with all that review and interview stuff this idea got a little bit lost, so I'm very happy to use this new format as a platform where I can tell you something about those records and mix it up with things that happend in my life. 
You know, so many memories of mine are captured in many records and to me it is true magic when music can bring back those feelings you had a long time ago. It doesn't work with every album, but those who can do it are true classics to me! Those records won't get a rating here, because they are all amazing. 
I'm sure there will be many albums you already know, because they are belong to the "big ones", but there will be also some LP's you've probably never heard of. So, you are able to discover new music for you or at least you'll re-discover some older stuff you may have forgotten in all those years. 

Today I'd like to start with an album that isn't very well known: "Saints and Sinners" by Kane Roberts!


Some of you might know this guy. Roberts was the muscle-packed axeman of Alice Cooper in the mid-eighties. In 1987 he released his first solos-record that consisted of pure average Hair Metal stuff. With his second album "Saints and Sinners" he made a huge step forward. No other than star producer Desmond Child (Bon Jovi, Alice Cooper, Kiss, ...) wrote and produced the songs on this LP. It is a typical Child production, which means it's a polished American mainstream hard rock album - and I mean that in a very positive way. "Saints & Sinners" is packed with fantastic melodies, huge hooks, soaring guitars and strong vocal performances by Kane. Songs like "Fighter", "Twisted" or "Dance Little Sister" are true evergreens and also the ballads belong to the best power-ballads I've ever listened to.

Especially "Does Anybody Really Fall In Love Anymore?" is a monster of a ballad and this song has also a pretty cool backgorund. Originally it was written for Bon Jovi's fourth studio album "New Jersey" (which will also end up in R&M4U-Classics sooner or later). I really don't know why they didn't use it for their album, because a demo exists and it's simply a stunning song. It seems like Desmond Child had the same opinion, so he used it on Cher's album "Heart Of Stone" in 1989 and just two years later he gave it to Kane Roberts. To me this is the final version and also the best.
Sadly "Saints and Sinners" was released at the wrong time. In 1991 the Hard Rock/Glam/Hair Metal scene was worn out and so Kane Roberts didn't get the success he deserved.


I discovered this album back in 2008 - pretty late I would say. At this time lots of changes happend in my life. I finished school and began my training as a media merchant. Therefore I moved to another city. Here I didin't knew anybody, so it was a really new step in life and a tough time. In August I listened to some samples of "Saints and Sinners" for the first time. Probably because I was interested in all that stuff Desmond Child did till the 90's. Especially the song "Fighter" stands for the year 2008 because I always listened to this song when I was down or felt alone. The whole album brought me in a really good mood. Like a good friend who tells you not to give up. Maybe this sounds strange for some people, but I was always addicted to music, especially when I was down music really helped me out. That hasn't changed so far. 

So you see this album means a lot to me. It is a perfect feel-good record for hot summers. Luckily "Saints and Sinners" got a reissue in 2012, so everybody can now enjoy this wonderful album. It's a shame that you haven't heard so much from Kane after that album. His other projects weren't that good like his masterpiece from 1991.



So this was my first classic for you. Now it's YOUR turn. Tell me what you think about this new post-series and don't be affraid to write me which feelings and memories you have about this album.

Tracklist:

01. Wild Nights
02. Twisted
03. Does Anybody Really Fall In Love Anymore? *
04. Dance Little Sister *
05. Rebel Heart
06. You Always Want It *
07. Fighter *
08. I'm Not Lookin' For An Angel
09. Too Far Gone
10. It's Only Over For You *

* best tracks

No comments:

Post a Comment